This time of year all of us are looking for a different method of marinating meat for grilling. These suggestions come from my own experience so I am not always going to give you a complete recipe. This is a teaser to help you move out of your cooking comfort zone.
lemony blueberry lavender marmalade
1. This Marinade will make your lamb taste fabulous! Marinate covered in the fridge for 2-3hrs before grilling.
-Use a Jelly with mint or rosemary(1/2 cup) , mix with a red wine vinegar & red wine(1/4c each),add some Dijon mustard and fresh chopped rosemary(2 Tbsp each) .
2. Use this Sesame Plum Sauce for glazing chicken or pork. Serve it warm and use as a dipping sauce for meatballs,
won tons or spring rolls. -Use red plum jam,damson plum preserves,Spiced Plum syrup or sweet Red Plum Sauce(1Cup), mix with Soy sauce ,lime juice, Chile paste(2 Tbsp each), Minced fresh ginger(1 tsp) and sesame oil(1/2 tsp). Mix in a small saucepan,heat gently over low heat(to prevent burning) just till the sauce bubbles.
Meat loaf my Dad would love!
3. Meatloaf can be boring, but if you add 1/2 c of Sweet tomato chutney to the mix, you can make your meatloaf moist and fabulous. I have always used the Fanny Farmer Cookbook (twelfth edition) recipe for meatloaf but I use rolled oats instead of bread crumbs and I don’t use Worcestershire sauce. I usually double the recipe and put one cook meatloaf in the freezer for later!
4. Make sweet potato fries and serve with Sweet tomato chutney.
5. For a tasty dessert, especially before the local fruit comes into season. You can make a plain cheesecake(ricotta or cream cheese based) and before you put it in the oven ,swirl warmed jam , jelly or fruit syrup through the cheese cake in the pan. You can warm jam or marmalade and spread it on the top of the cooked cheesecake.
recipe from the 1999 edition of Family circle favorite recipes
6. Take a plain cake and add warmed jam or preserves to a butter cream or whipped cream filling. Spread the mixture between the layers or spread the warmed jam between the layers. Take a “Cake Pan”cake (mix cake right in the pan) baked,but still warm and use a toothpick and to put holes all over the cake. Take the warmed jelly ,jam or fruit syrup and pour it over the cake.