This time of year all of us are looking for a different method of marinating meat for grilling. These suggestions come from my own experience so I am not always going to give you a complete recipe. This is a teaser to help you move out of your cooking comfort zone.
1. This Marinade will make your lamb taste fabulous! Marinate covered in the fridge for 2-3hrs before grilling.
-Use a Jelly with mint or rosemary(1/2 cup) , mix with a red wine vinegar & red wine(1/4c each),add some Dijon mustard and fresh chopped rosemary(2 Tbsp each) .
2. Use this Sesame Plum Sauce for glazing chicken or pork. Serve it warm and use as a dipping sauce for meatballs,
won tons or spring rolls. -Use red plum jam,damson plum preserves,Spiced Plum syrup or sweet Red Plum Sauce(1Cup), mix with Soy sauce ,lime juice, Chile paste(2 Tbsp each), Minced fresh ginger(1 tsp) and sesame oil(1/2 tsp). Mix in a small saucepan,heat gently over low heat(to prevent burning) just till the sauce bubbles.
3. Meatloaf can be boring, but if you add 1/2 c of Sweet tomato chutney to the mix, you can make your meatloaf moist and fabulous. I have always used the Fanny Farmer Cookbook (twelfth edition) recipe for meatloaf but I use rolled oats instead of bread crumbs and I don’t use Worcestershire sauce. I usually double the recipe and put one cook meatloaf in the freezer for later!
4. Make sweet potato fries and serve with Sweet tomato chutney.
5. For a tasty dessert, especially before the local fruit comes into season. You can make a plain cheesecake(ricotta or cream cheese based) and before you put it in the oven ,swirl warmed jam , jelly or fruit syrup through the cheese cake in the pan. You can warm jam or marmalade and spread it on the top of the cooked cheesecake.
6. Take a plain cake and add warmed jam or preserves to a butter cream or whipped cream filling. Spread the mixture between the layers or spread the warmed jam between the layers. Take a “Cake Pan”cake (mix cake right in the pan) baked,but still warm and use a toothpick and to put holes all over the cake. Take the warmed jelly ,jam or fruit syrup and pour it over the cake.